Sunday, March 5, 2023

Birthday Trip Day 3

On the Saturday of our weekend in Helmsley, Sarah and Tom were up early with Robyn but Lee and I managed to sleep in for a bit. We relaxed in the morning - I was cross stitching - and Robyn played. Then she went for a nap about midday so Lee and I headed out to look at some of the shops in Helmsley we had missed the previous day. We got a few things in those shops. We then went to Cornercopia cafe to wait for Sarah and Tom and Robyn, who came after Robyn's nap. I haven't been in that cafe before but it was really nice, I would go again. I had falafel and cucumber and tzatziki on sourdough, and it was lovely. 

As we had headed out it was really foggy, but the sun started to break through. We had decided to go to the castle as Tom likes castles and Robyn likes running about. I've never been, but it's English Heritage so it costs a little bit to go in but I felt it was worth it. I probably wouldn't go again as it's not going to change much, but I did enjoy it. 

The people on the desk on the way in told us to go up the left hand path to get in as it's a shallower path which is obviously better for me and for a pushchair, so I was glad she had said that. The sun was breaking through and leaving some lovely effects on the ruins, so we all took photos and Robyn ran all over the place. It wasn't far to go so that was good. The path down the right hand side was much steeper and a bit icy in parts, but I managed it with Lee. 

Lee and I walked back into the market square and had a hot drink in Cafe Crema which was lovely. We all met back at the cottage. Lee went for a lie down again around 5pm and the rest of us cooked tea which was fajitas - chicken for the non vegetarians and halloumi for me. Robyn had some too! She had a bath and bed again and she fell asleep quite quickly so the rest of us managed to play a game and watch rubbish music channels on Sky. It was a lovely day! 



As Lee and I went into the square at about midday, there was proper fog going on! 


Hot chocolate in Cornercopia


Me and Sarah


My lunch, which was really nice


The sun just starting to poke through as we walked towards the castle


A plan of what the castle would have looked like before its destruction


I love the light in this one


As this one, as we walked up towards the entrance


This is one of the entrances


The bronze sculptures are pretty cool


One of the old entrances




Lots of ruins



Inside the keep


Me standing in a doorway like I like to



Our shadows



Sarah and Tom and Robyn


Looking down into the moat


Looking at Helmsley from the castle


The beck as Lee and I walked over it - it was far fuller than it usually is


And looking the other way - I always take these pictures in Helmsley


And finally my outfit - my Judi Love top and a Scarlett & Jo skirt, pretty typical outfit for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment