Sunday, March 12, 2023

End of January, My Grandma, and Christmas #2

On the 25th of January my grandma died. She had been in hospital for about a week, suffering from fluid on her lungs and anaemia. She wasn't responding particularly quickly to treatment, but on Tuesday evening she was quite agitated and a bit in distress - my mum and stepdad had gone to see her and I'm glad they did. She died peacefully in her sleep at around 9.30am on the Wednesday morning. My mum rang me straight away and asked me to go to the hospital with her, so I very quickly got ready to go. What was worst is that Lee was on a flight to Frankfurt, to go to Bratislava where his company is based. I rang him straight away and he could have turned round and come home, but I told him there was no point because there was nothing he could do. He was going for some team building stuff so I told him just to carry on.

I went to my mum's and she and my stepdad and I went to the hospital to see my grandma. My mum's vicar (technically my boss, too) met us there and prayed over her, which meant a lot to my mum and would have meant a lot to my grandma too I'm sure. We went back to my mum's and started ringing round relatives and friends to let people know. My mum had obviously already spoken to her sister, and what is sad is that her mother in law died just 8 days before my grandma. I feel sorry for my cousins, losing both grandmas in such short succession! 

I could have stayed at my mum's but didn't want to leave my cats for too long so I went home. I was fine by myself, and I let the cats sleep with me overnight if they wanted which they don't always get to do. On Thursday morning my mum and I went swimming and then had coffee and cake in a cafe near me. I was by myself for the rest of the day but fine with the cats.

On Friday I went to lunch with someone I went to school with, who I haven't seen since I left school in 2000! I just burnt my bridges when I left I think, desperate to move on to the next part of my life (6th form college). I made friends with Sally on Facebook ages and ages ago and last year said it would be nice to meet up with her. So we arranged to meet for lunch at Blacker Hall Farm which is a nice place near my mum's house. I was quite anxious about seeing her, but it turned out we chatted just fine and I really enjoyed myself. I had falafel salad to eat and it was delicious! I headed home afterwards where Lee had just got home. We both napped for a bit before heading to my mum's about 4.30. Lee really wanted to see her, obviously, and make sure she was okay. 

My aunt and uncle arrived not long after us and we ended up staying for tea - my mum always has vegetarian sausages and sausage rolls in her freezer in case we need feeding, so we had sausage rolls with omelettes which were lovely. 

On Saturday we headed to my mum's for about 11am. My cousins and the eldest one's wife were already there. We had already planned to all get together on this day to have a big Christmas meal together and swap presents, as we hadn't had the chance to do that at Christmas itself. We decided we would still do this even without my grandma, and it turned out to be a really lovely day. We swapped presents, made a big meal with a lot of help from many people, and played some games. Rob made soups to start with, including a French onion soup that was so delicious. I had nut roast for my main course, with all the trimmings. I had asked Rob and Beth for a plush of Lucky from 101 Dalmatians, it is so cute! We left there around 11pm. I'm glad we still did it and didn't mope about my grandma - we talked about her, obviously. It was a lovely day.

I got this new pink hoodie off Vinted - Lolly saw the listing and sent it to me as I wanted one to replaced my burgundy hoodie which had really seen better days. This one was £11 and was brand new with tags! It is quite long but that will just keep my bum warm. It's big enough to wear a cardigan or jumper underneath too. 

So my grandma's funeral will be in February. On the Tuesday after her death, I went to my mum's and the undertaker and the vicar both came to see us so that was lots of admin to do. It was exhausting. I am glad to have nothing to do today except get my blogs up to date!


My grandma - I'm not sure how old she was here but I really like the picture


Falafel salad


Me and Sally! It was lovely to see her!


Modelling my new hoodie, I love the colour


Me and my cousin Peter on the Saturday - I always take a photo like this of the two of us at Christmas so had to carry on the tradition


Lucky! Isn't he the cutest thing! Beth is a big Disney fan so when I wanted one of these I knew she was the perfect person to ask to buy it!


Everyone sitting down for lunch - it was a bit of a squash but nice to sit all together


Selfie mode with me in it too 


Christmas dinner - it was so delicious! I made the cheese sauce and the bread sauce


No comments:

Post a Comment