Friday, March 17, 2023

Sale at the LGBTQ+ bookshop and Korean food with friends

On Sunday the 5th of February we headed to Leeds to meet up with our friends Leanne and Adi and their little girl April. I had noticed that The Bookish Type was having a sale and thought Leanne might like to join me. It's an independent LGBTQ+ bookshop and it's brilliant. The first time I went was with Leanne, and I went when I was Christmas shopping with my mum to buy some presents for friends. I was excited about a sale so we arranged to meet Leanne and co there just before 12.

Lee and I got to the Merrion Centre about 11.10 and went to the record shop, Jumbo Records, where we bought each other a record that we will give each other for Valentine's Day. We went into The Works and were just getting a coffee when Leanne messaged me to say there was a queue forming upstairs, so we headed up. The queue was already pretty big! The shop is not huge so even when the doors opened the staff were only letting about 6 people in at once. Adi, April and Lee decided to go down to Oba Kitchen, where we had planned to eat, instead of coming in, which made perfect sense as it's a small shop. 

Leanne and I headed inside eventually. There was a rack of secondhand books, none more expensive than £5. There was also a trolley of 'new but damaged' books, again priced cheaply. Of these, each customer was allowed ten, which seemed really fair to me. I picked up five. Then I picked three books off the shelves, at full price. My friend Sam bought me a voucher for the shop for Christmas, so I knew I could use that. Because of that I took chances on two books that I probably wouldn't have used my own money for. I also had Christmas money which took care of the rest of the money - I spent less than £20 in total so it was a bargain! It was a good sale, I would definitely go again.

Leanne and I headed to Oba Kitchen. There's two Korean restaurants in the Merrion Centre but one of them just does barbecue, meat options, with no veggie options, so it was no good for me. This one looked lush though. It has Japanese choices too. I nearly went for two Japanese dishes, but changed my mind as Japanese restaurants are more plentiful and I wanted to have something Korean. I went for sushi to start with, which was really yummy, and then veggie bibimbap for my main course. I've never had bibimbap before and am so glad I did - it was delicious and had an egg in it which I enjoy. It was nicely spicy!

Lee and I didn't get desserts but I had a Sex on the Beach cocktail instead which was really good. We said goodbye to Leanne, Adi and April, it had been so nice to see them as we hadn't seen them since Lee's 40th party back last August. We had bought April a Disney princess wand and I'm glad to say she really liked it!

I sat down while Lee popped into Morrisons and then we came home. I was wearing my new Alanis Morrisette t shirt which my aunt and uncle bought me, I love it and I'm so happy to finally have an Alanis t shirt! With it I wore my black and flowered skirt, which again used to be a dress but I like wearing it as a skirt with whatever top I like! 

It was a lovely Sunday - I do like buying books! 


First of all my nails - Chloe gave me this nail polish at the clothes swap and I just love it, a gorgeous dusty blue. My nails are finally looking okay again after I had gel on them


Outside the bookshop


Sushi to start with!


Veggie and egg bibimbap, I would like to try to make this for myself some time


Sex on the Beach cocktail, it was delicious


Two of my lovely lunch companions. April was busy chatting to me, including telling me which is her favourite type of penguin


And finally my outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment