Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Pottery Painting with Sam and Jacqui

On the 11th of February me and Sam and Jacqui met up to do some pottery painting. I've wanted to do it for ages and I put it on my list of forty things that I want to do before I turn forty in January 2024. I will try to blog things on this list as and when they happen, but I've already missed writing about a couple - like get another tattoo was on the list, and I did that just before this day. I'm going to write a zine about the forty things, because it's me and that's what I do! So anyway Sam and Jac said they would do it with me. We looked around at plenty of places but decided to go for Crafty Owls in Ossett, near Wakefield. 

We decided to go for some lunch first, so booked a table at Bistro 42. I've been before, but it was ages ago, for my mum's birthday at one point. I remembered it being nice though, and it is. Jac and I shared some nachos and then I had a halloumi burger and chunky chips. They were both nice. Sam and Jac enjoyed their food too. They also had two cocktails each, which I tasted and which were delicious. 

We got to Crafty Owls early but we were able to sit down. They have lots of clay things for you to choose from to paint, although the person in charge said their choices were a bit down because they had been so busy. There was still ample choice though! I went for a big bauble and a cat. I am not, it turns out, a natural painter. I enjoyed making the patterns on the bauble, though, and I just sort of tried my best with the cat. It's orange, reddish, and black. My own cats are black, and black and white, but that seemed like it would be boring to paint so I went for more of a calico. Sam painted a bowl and a cup, doing patterns and stuff. Jac did a Belle! She was beautiful and will look stunning I am sure! It took her ages but she did manage to also paint Stede Bonnet (if you know you know) on to a teabag holder.

We were there about two hours in all. Crafty Owls has some drinks and sweet things, so we got a drink each. We paid and I arranged that I would go back to collect our stuff once it had been glazed and fired. It was really good fun to just sit and paint and chat - so much so that Jacqui asked if we can go to the place in York near Christmas and paint some stuff then! I am so glad this was on my list and that we crossed it off!



I had painted my nails - Barry M Spearmint - so took this photo while I was waiting for Sam at the station


Nachos to share!


Halloumi burger and chunky chips


I love ghost writing on old buildings like this!


My cat and bauble before painting


All the different paints we had to choose from - we each had a tile to use as a paint palette which showed what each colour looks like when fired


Sam and Jac!


And all three of us - there were other people in the place, on and off


My bauble


Jac's Belle - just so good!


My little cat - I'm excited to see what this will look like too


And finally my plate


Jac took this of everything we had made!

No comments:

Post a Comment