Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Films of the Month - March

I watched fourteen films in March which was a good number. Here's what I saw:


I love James McAvoy so when I saw this film with him in and Claire Foy, I decided to watch it. It's a month later now and I can't really remember it at all, but I probably enjoyed it at the time 


Lee and I watched Wayne's World 2 because we had had watched the first one in February. It's ridiculous of course but I still love it


Someone had recommended Lemonade Mouth to me at Barnsley Zine Fair, because we were talking about fictional bands in films, which is something I really love. This film is basically The Breakfast Club but they form a band. It's pretty cute, I liked it


Netflix recommended The Old Oak to me, about a delapidated pub in Durham where Syrian refugees move into the village and there's tension between them and the regulars in the pub. It's an excellent film about community and the north and all of that stuff. As someone with family in Durham it was nice to hear actual Durham accents! I really liked it and would recommend it


I hadn't seen On the Come Up before I don't think, even though I loved the book. It's alright, it isn't as good as the book of course but it's a decent film


It was a random Thursday evening and I had been out to see a friend and decided to watch this in the evening. It's one of my favourite films - I can practically say the whole script


Lee and I watched The Whole Ten Yards because we had watched The Whole Nine Yeards earlier in the year and I think we've only seen the sequel once or twice. It's alright, but not as good as the first one. Nice to watch Matthew Perry and Bruce Willis, though


Lee suggested we watch The Birds because it's one of his favourite films, so we did. I love it, I love how scary it is with very little technically stuff. I share my birthday with Tippi Hedren, did you know!


BBC recommended I watch Silenced: The Hidden Story of Disabled Britain so I thought I would. It's a hard watch, of course, but really important 


I had seen The Starling Girl recommended on Reddit because it's about fundamentalist Christians, and I finally got round to it. It is interesting but if anything I don't think it goes far enough in showing the culture


I recently read a book called Queerbook about LGBTQ+ history, and this film was mentioned. I read the book last year and I'm glad I did read it even though I didn't love it, so I thought I would watch the film. Tilda Swinton is very good, and I'm glad I watched this but probably wouldn't bother to watch it again


I went to the cinema in Huddersfield with Sam and Jodie to see this recording of the National Theatre play about when John Gielgud directed Richard Burton in Hamlet in 1964. Mark Gatiss is playing Gielgud and Johnny Flynn is playing Richard Burton. I love Johnny Flynn and have for a long time so it was great to see him. I do like recordings of theatre shows


Because I had seen the above I was reminded of Burton & Taylor, with Dominic West playing Richard Burton and Helena Bonham Carter playing Elizabeth Taylor. I've seen it before but not for ages. I actually didn't love it this time around, but never mind


Finally Sam and Jacqui and I watched The Craft remotely with each other on Good Friday because we were all free. It's still one of my favourite films, I love it

No comments:

Post a Comment