Thursday, January 4, 2024

Lunch and Shopping with Roslyn

On the 19th of November I went into Barnsley to meet up with my friend Roslyn. We hadn't been able to get together for ages but I had mentioned the crystal shop at Elsecar and she wanted to go, so she suggested that. But the food is rubbish at Elsecar (especially for vegetarians, as we both are), so we arranged to meet in the centre of Barnsley first for something to eat. We met at 11.30 and went into TKMaxx to start off with as we both wanted a few bits for Christmas. I was able to finish Lee's advent presents which was great! 

We then went into Market Kitchen for lunch. It has about ten cafes to choose from but because it was Sunday only two were open - a Turkish place and a place called Jar Bar which serves Balkan food. Roslyn went for a halloumi gyros from the Balkan place. I'm still struggling with my appetite (I'm still convinced it's my new anti depressants) so wasn't sure what I wanted, so I went for falafel and hummus from the Turkish place, with some fries. I didn't eat all the fries but I really liked the falafel and hummus and bread that it came with. 

After lunch we went into a few of the indie shops that are in the Glassworks now. They have a lot of handmade stuff! I got some wax melts for myself and some gifts. By this time it was about 2pm so we went back to Roslyn's car and she drove us down to Elsecar. She was the first of my friends to learn to drive but she hasn't driven me anywhere in over twenty years, I swear! We went into the antiques centre for a little look round and then it turned out there was a craft fair in the old tram shed where the food festival often is. It had a bunch of nice stuff, I didn't actually buy anything but it was nice to see some different types of crafts represented. 

Then we went in the crystal shop. I bought a piece for myself and some gifts, and Roslyn bought a couple of bits too. By this time I was absolutely knackered and in pain because the day before my mum and stepdad had been to ours and we had done loads of jobs in the house. Lee's chest of drawers needed mending so he and my stepdad did that while my mum and I did a ton of cleaning. So I was in pain and probably not at my best for Roslyn so I told Lee to come and fetch me and bribed him with the record shop that's there. He bought three records! It was 3.30pm by this point so we said goodbye. Lee picked up some hot chocolate for us on the way out. 

I was wearing a dress I posted really recently that I got from Lucia, so I didn't bother to take another photo of it. But my tights were newish - they're another pair of sparkly ones from Snag and they're still shedding glitter so I was leaving a little sparkle in my wake! I was wearing my Dr Marten boots where the black wears off them - they're perfect for winter for me so I am generally wearing them!

When I got home I had to have a lie down and a nap because I was in so much pain and so tired. But it was really nice to see Roslyn.


Sparkly tights and boots


The Christmas tree was in the entrance to Market Kitchen and I think it looked really nice!


Falafel and bread and chips, I will go to the Turkish place again!


I took a couple of photos of the craft fair in full swing


It was really nice to happen upon it

No comments:

Post a Comment