Thursday, January 25, 2024

Shopping and the Christmas Market in Sheffield with my Mum

As in previous years, my mum and I went Christmas shopping just a couple of weeks before Christmas. We usually have a full day out somewhere and have a lovely time with some wine or something and a nice lunch. This year we decided to go to Sheffield as the Christmas markets were on and we both wanted to see them. We had planned to get the train from my village to Sheffield, but unfortunately the trains were on strike, so my stepdad drove us to Meadowhall where we got on the tram. 

We were going to get off at Cathedral, but then the tram in front of us had broken down or something so we got off at Fitzalan Square and walked up. We wereboth thirsty by this point so we went in Caffe Nero for a drink to start off with, and we also shared a vegan sausage roll which was delicious! We went in M&S then, and bought absolutely loads in there, before heading in lots more shops. I had taken my gym rucksack with me so I could put most things in there which is easier on my body to carry than stuff hanging off my hands. We were looking for some boots for me from my mother for Christmas so we went in lots of shoe shops along the way!

Around 12pm we were near the Alpine Lodge in Barkers Pool so we decided to go for a drink in there. My mum had a glass of rose and I had the caramelised spiced hot rum, which was unusual but absolutely delicious, I really enjoyed it. We managed to get a seat inside the lodge so it was lovely and cosy and I'm really glad we did it! Afterwards we walked down through more of the market stalls, and ended up at the Moor, where we were still looking for presents and boots. 

We started to want some lunch so we looked all over but couldn't find much down that end. We looked in the Light but the only thing in there now is a Nandos which we didn't want. We ended up in the Moor Market, where there are a bunch of cafes. It's not fancy but it is delicious! I ended up getting tofu kraprao from a Thai street food place, which was one of the spiciest things I've ever eaten in my life. I did like it but I needed a lot of water to go with it! My mum had cheesy chips. 

We went in a few more shops and eventually found me some boots in Deichmann which I don't think I've ever been in ever before! By this time we were really knackered and had walked a really long way already! So we decided to go to Browns for a drink. I had been just the week previously, with Lolly, and said it was nice. I wasn't sure if we would get a table but I think most people were in parties so there were a few tables just for two. We shared a bottle of the most delicious Sauvignon Blanc and had a pudding each. I had brownie which came in a very cute little skillet. By the time we had finished there it was about 5pm. We wandered back through the market and then got the tram from City Hall to Middlewood. We would have gone back to Meadowhall but there was an event on at the arena so we knew the traffic would be bad there. Lee came to pick us up from Middlewood and then we took my mum home! We ended up having tea with my mum and stepdad which was a really lovely end to the day. 

I had walked absolutely miles! I was okay though. I'm finding walking a lot easier at the moment than I have previously. I was still really sad over my friend's husband so my head was a bit all over the place and I didn't manage to get all the presents that I really could have. But we had a lovely day together and it was so nice to sit and share a bottle of wine and talk for a bit. It was just the day I needed. 



This police box stands near Barkers Pool and is the last surviving one of forty in the city, apparently! Someone I follow had taken a very similar picture recently so I was keeping an eye out


Hot spiced rum and a glass of rose


Here we are both in the lodge, it's very cute!


My mum took this photo from her vantage point


I wanted to go on the big wheel but my mum doesn't like heights so we didn't. One of these days I will though!


Tofu kraprao and rice


Inside the cafe area in the market. There's a few here I would like to try


Here's my view up the very festive stairs in Browns


Here we both are, thank you to the very nice member of staff who took this! 


My very cute brownie in a little skillet thing


My mum took this of the place too


Then she took this of me as we walked back through the markets to the tram


And then a nice stranger took a photo of both of us! This little neon sign is so cute!


And finally a better look at the stuff around Barkers Pool. It was really pretty and well done, and showed Sheffield off nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment