Sunday, November 27, 2022

Meeting Up with Katie and Kate in York

On the first of October I went to York to see my friends Katie and Kate. We met at university - York St John - twenty years ago this autumn and we haven't seen each other in ages so it was high time we got together! Katie and I have seen each other more recently because she only lives in Wakefield, but I haven't seen Kate since 2019. 

We all lived in the same house for a few weeks. I introduced myself to Katie on the first day and we ended up both doing Theology and both being from Wakefield, so that was weird! In the other room was a girl called Gemma, and she knew Kate from home in Darlington. Kate hadn't got a room allocated, so uni told her to wait a few weeks until someone dropped out, and then she would get one. So she slept on Gemma's floor for a few weeks - she says it was about three weeks into term so that wasn't too bad. The four of us lived together in second and third years, in a lovely Victorian house near the Nestle factory. It always smelt of chunky Kitkats! Katie, Gemma, and Kate were three of my bridesmaids when Lee and I got married when I had just finished uni, but I lost touch with Gemma in around 2007. The others don't talk to her now either, but I'm glad the three of us are still friends. It's strange because I didn't get my first choice accomadation (which had ensuite rooms and an internet connection) and I was absolutely furious about it, but if I had, I wouldn't have known Katie and Kate. I would have been on the same course as Katie but might not have become friends. It's funny how things work out! 

We had mentioned meeting up in Leeds but that was earlier in the year, so as it was our twenty year anniversary (how am I old enough to have gone to university TWENTY years ago???) we said we should go to York as that's where we met and lived for three lovely years. My friend Jac lives in York so I went through early and had a cuppa and a chat at hers for a bit which was also lovely before getting the bus into town. York isn't always that accessible for me anymore but parking at Jac's and walking to the bus stop was ideal. I got off the bus at the theatre and walked down to The Ivy where we had booked a table. It's a bit more expensive than we would usually go for but we had decided to push the boat out. 

Katie and Kate weren't too far behind me. It was so nice to see Kate! We ordered a bottle of prosecco (I just had a glass) and some food. We all went for twice baked cheese souffle and then I had avocado and poched eggs with hollandaise sauce, which was lush. We shared some chocolate bombs for pudding. 

We weren't moved along quickly and there were tables free, so we sat for a long while chatting. Then we went to the Pitcher and Piano just near City Screen for a drink - I had a virgin mojito which was really nice. It was late before I set off home but so worth it as we'd had such a lovely day and had chatted so much. It was just like old days!

I pulled out this old Simply Be black dress with a pattern on it - I love it and don't wear it enough. It's strapless so I also pulled on my Beth Ditto heart cardigan which is soft. I added some more of my new tights - black with a gorgeous gold pattern on them. I found some gold jewellery including a gorgeous vintage brooch that I've had for ages but haven't worn before. 


The three of us in The Ivy


Cheese souffle, I could eat this again right now


Avocado eggs - really simple but so good


Virgin mojito - as you can see they both an Aperol Spritz


In Pitcher and Piano


My outfit - the dress is cotton and really simple but I really like it


Close up of the gold pattern on my tights


And my jewellery - I made the earrings!

No comments:

Post a Comment