Sunday, November 6, 2022

Trip to France - Day 4

On the Monday of our holiday we headed into Mirepoix for the market. It was recommended by the host of our gite, and I'm so glad it was as it was such a fantastic market. Really busy and well used. So French! We got there about 10.30. We hadn't planed to be near to Mirepoix particularly but it turned out to be such a lovely town and I'm glad I got to see it. It's a mediaeval town, with no cars allowed in the main square, and tons of 'halles' where there are tons of bars and shops under old wooden structures. The market took up all of the square plus lots of the spaces near the church. We were mainly looking for food stuff that we hadn't been able to get at the supermarket, like quinoa, but we looked at all the other stalls too. I think that day I only bought some goats milk soap which smells divine, and I've heard it's really good for dry skin because it's so nourishing. 

There were plenty of places to sit on the square which was helpful to me. We also stopped for a drink at about 12.30, in a bar that turned out to be a Basque bar and sold a bunch of Basque products inside, which was pretty cool. I don't know if you've ever heard of Kir, or Kir Royale, which is blackcurrant liqueur with either just white wine or sparkling white wine - I really love it and we drank it lots in France. Anyway this bar had Kir Cidre, which was the creme de cassis with cider. It was lovely, I really enjoyed it!

I was wearing my flamingo skirt and pink top to go to the market, with anti chafing shorts underneath but otherwise with my legs bare. I have to say it was quite difficult to be both fat and visible disabled in France this time - I feel like I got a lot of stares and a few comments. But it was also hot, so I was going to wear what I wanted, thank you!

When we got back to the gite we went swimming sunbathing again, which was lovely. After a shower I put on my oversized yellow dress which I absolutely love and which is lovely to wear on holiday. Lee and I made chilli for everyone, we made it vegetarian first of all then cooked beef mince for everyone else as neither of us eat it. Everyone really enjoyed it which was good! 


Flamingo skirt and pink top - the top is getting a bit bobbly now so I really need something else to wear with this skirt - maybe I'll find something next summer


A very old building in Mirepoix itself. It's a lovely town, I really recommend it, especially on market day!


This carousel was so pretty but sadly wasn't open, or I would have gone on it


Following my godparents through the market. This photo really doesn't show how busy it was


This one does better! The buildings are so beautiful


This square in the middle was left empty with stalls all round the outside


Kir Cidre


Chilli outside that evening


And finally my evening outfit, my favourite mustard coloured dress

No comments:

Post a Comment