Friday, November 11, 2022

Trip to France - Day 9

On the second Saturday of our holiday we went to Lake Montbel! I have to say - we were really lucky to be able to go on holiday for twelve days. In the past Lee's job has prevented us from taking more than a week off at a time, so now he doesn't have that restriction we decided to go for longer. And we really enjoyed it, it was such a long time and really relaxing. We are lucky and grateful!

We set off to the lake, looking for the bas de loisirs where there would be a beach and a restaurant. We got a bit lost and went further around the lake, but made it eventually. But the restaurant wasn't doing food at that time, and the lake was... depleted. That's partly because of the drought that a lot of France has suffered this year, and also because the fire department use it as a scoop lake to take water out of to fight wild fires. This meant that the beach was a long way away from where we were, and there was no shade at all. The lake at this part also looked kind of silted up and scummy, so none of us wanted to swim in it particularly. I suggested going back to near where we had got lost, where there was a small car park and a boat launching bit, and I thought we could paddle there. Plus it was nicely shaded. Lee and I do this kind of thing all the time on holiday - just stop and go! Lee and I had packed our beach shoes especially for this purpose. However, I also had my Saltwater sandals which, if you don't know, are made to go in and out of water even though they're leather. So I put those on because they're extremely cute, I love them!

We stayed there for around an hour I'm guessing, paddling. My stepdad and godfather stayed in the shade - we also had our camping chairs - and we had taken some drinks. It was a really nice time!

We went back to the bas de loisirs to have a drink and an ice cream in the restaurant. Have you had one of these millionaire's shortbread Magnums? They are totally delicious. We had some of the mini ones back in the gite, too. 

We got back to the gite and went swimming, as usual. After that I had a shower and then had a drink with Alison of this mojito stuff, it was nice. We definitely got into the habit of having 'apero' - a drink and some nibbles before tea. Delicious! I'm not sure what we had to eat that night, but I'm sure it was good. I had my pastry from the day before, which was an 'herissonne', meaning hedgehog! Too cute!

I was wearing one to my Star Wars t-shirts and my flamingo skirt, which is one of my favourite pieces of clothing ever


My gorgeous Saltwater sandals - I think this is the first and last time I wore them this summer which is a shame


My mum in the lake - look how clear it was. There were crayfish too


This part of the lake was dammed so wasn't nearly as empty as the other part. I woukd have swam here but we didn't


Lee in the lake


Me and my mum in the lake - my mum borrowed my beach shoes as I was wearing my sandals


As you can see, I was wearing my oversized mustard yellow dress again


I think I was sitting down at this point


Lee and I


This is the other part of the lake, which is suffering badly from lack of water


Magnum ice cream


Near the restaurant


In my natural habitat in the pool


Delicious drinks that were just a few euros


Herissonne dessert!


And here I am later that evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment