Thursday, November 10, 2022

Trip to France - Day 8

The second Friday of our holiday was quite a cloudy and miserable day. It was still warm but not very, and not really warm enough to sit by the pool especially as the pool wasn't heated so without the sun on it it was really quite cold! We had breakfast and then a bit later Lee and I went for a drive south, towards a place called Foix. Not far from there were actual mountains where there is skiing in the winter! That'll be the Pyrenees I guess! We stopped in Foix and bought pastries from a boulangerie there, and then we tried to get some lunch but a lot of places were closed. I guess again because it was out of season. We ended up at the Intermarche just a little bit out of town. We bought a few bits but nothing too exciting. We then went to the McDonalds just next to it. I read there was vegetarian stuff, and there was a salad, but no burgers. So I had a salad with mozzarella and tomatoes. It was pretty nice! Lee had a chicken burger. You order it on the screen like in the UK and then took a table number and then the food was brought to your table! So fancy!

The six of us had already decided to go into Mirepoix around 5pm and look at the shops while the market wasn't there, and then have something to eat, so we set off to do that. There were quite a few nice shops. Lee bought a cute lamp that you rock to turn on and off, it looks like a giant switch and we both liked it. There weren't a lot of people around and weren't either when we went into the restaurant, but it got busier which added to the atmosphere. I had a mushroom pizza and a crepe with salted caramel butter, both of which were nice. 

I was wearing the same patterned dress that I'd worn the night before. I don't know what I wore during the day because I clearly didn't record it! 


McDonald's salad


One of the old gateways into Mirepoix


One of the streets


The market place - you can see how empty it was!


And from further round


The old halles are on the right hand side, they were so pretty


Look how old the buildings are


I hadn't noticed on the Monday that this second window was painted on!


The was the hotel de ville, it was also very pretty


Some of the history of the place


I absolutely love old writing like this that has faded with the years but is still visible. Apparently the word means 'savings' so there might have been a bank underneath!


Mushroom pizza. I had to order it specially because the only other veggie pizza was margherita which I'm not keen on


Crepe!


And here's my outfit! I wore my white slip on Converse to death on that holiday because they were so comfortable and I can walk a long way in them. I washed them when we got home!


No comments:

Post a Comment