Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Trip to France - Day 6

On the Wednesday of our holiday, Lee, my mum, Alison and I went to Carcassonne's old city, which for me was a bucket list item in my life, if I had a bucket list. I've wanted to go for years which is why I suggested going near there. My mum and dad visited years ago, so my mum had been, and Alison and Derek had as well, but my mum and Alison were happy to go again. We set off nice and early as we were about 45 minutes away. We drove right up to the old city walls, where there's a few car parks, and easily managed to park. I guess that's because it was out of season, but it was very helpful! I knew I would be tired afterwards but I was determined to have a good day. 

This post is photo heavy but worth it I think! Carcassonne has such a long and varied history and a lot of it shows in the architecture of the old city. I had it in my mind that it was a bit like Mont St Michel, and I think that's a fair comparison. It was quite accessible for me though, which is good. We walked across and under the city walls, and then turned left and went up what was the steepest street I saw, but it was still fine. We had a drink in a bar on Place Marcou that my mum said she had been in with my dad, so that was nice. It was still quiet as it was early. Once we'd had a drink we set off walking through all the little streets, popping into shops here and there. I really love French soap so I bought three in a fancy shop. 

We popped into the cathedral and light a candle for my dad. The stained glass was absolutely beautiful, so that was nice to see. We headed back to Place Marcou for some lunch, but in a different place this time. Again, vegetarian options were a bit thin on the ground so I had a smoked salmon salad which was delicious - because I don't eat fish very often I really appreciate it when I do! My mum and Alison and I shared some rose wine which was gorgeous, and Lee drove back to the gite later which was good!

We went in a few more shops after lunch and then went on a little train which went on the outside of the city walls and which had a guided commentary which told us a lot of information. I really enjoyed it - not sure anyone else was that bothered but they all indulged me and went on it anyway! We set off back to the gite and were hot and sticky when we got back so Lee and I sat with our feet in the pool for a bit. I'm not sure what we had to eat that night, but after tea Lee learnt how to play Yahtzee with everyone else. I'm not that bothered about board games so I just cross stitched. 

I had worn one of my favourite dresses - this dotty Sprinkle of Glitter dress that I pulled out recently and wore a few times over the summer. It has pockets which is really useful for being a tourist as it meant I could pull my phone out easily to take photos. I just love it and I think it looks cute on me! 


Walking up to the old city walls


To the left, one of the tons of towers there are around the city


The gateway itself


I think this was the steepest street, and it still wasn't too bad. Some of the streets were cobbled, which I find difficult, but most were fine


Drink for breakfast!


Lee and I 


An arrow slot in one of the walls - look how thick they are!


A typical street


Part of the cathedral


Another very pretty street


Inside the cathedral


Look how beautiful the windows are


Especially this one, which looks like the rose one in York Minster to me


Looking down the nave


Some more of the walls and towers


Alison and my mum in the restaurant for lunch


And my delicious salad!


Marcou, whoever he was, in Place Marcou


More streets - the sign on the left was about a trip on the Canal du Midi, which I wish we had had the chance to go on a trip on - maybe next time?!


This door was extremely old!


We met a cat!


This was right near the main gateway


The cemetery outside the walls


Looking over 'new' Carcassonne, while we were on the dotto train


A very pretty street


Sitting with our feet in the pool later


Me and him


Playing Yahtzee


My gorgeous dress!

No comments:

Post a Comment